I am a shark, the ground is my ocean...and most people don't even know how to swim. - Rickson Gracie

понедельник, 18 мая 2009 г.

My Book Review – Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Theory and Technique (Renzo & Royler Gracie, with Kid Peligro & John Danaher)


First published in 2001 this book was the first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu book published in Russia in 2005 by the publisher Boevoy Sport.

Royler and Renzo Gracie are absolute masters of their art. The book itself however I found has a number of drawbacks despite the very good illustrations. (it is a hard-cover)

This book firstly I think is a first look at brazilian jiu jitsu from a perspective of a beginner. All techniques included in the book are fundemental, however the order in which they are shown is somewhat sporadic, with a huge mix between different types of positions, sport vs. self-defense techniques. All this makes the book at the very least difficult to use as I actually have to flick through the book to actually find the technique that I need.

The techniques themselves are demostrated with photographs of the two Gracies in white gi's. I think in some techniques it is difficult to actually follow the smaller details.

My favourite Gi positional move which I picked up from the book has been the lift from north-south position into the back mount which I have since then been able to succesfully incorporate into my game during sparring.

I recommend this book for white belts in their first year of training. For higher grades I would still recommend something more advanced.

8 out of 10 a great book with quality foundation material, an excellent introduction into the art of brazilian jiu jitsu.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий

Be part of the solution. Support WWF today
Check out my published content!